Friday, September 19, 2008

Columbus cover


Whew! I just finished this cover for Worldwatch Institute. It's based on a classic Durer engraving but with a spin; Columbus has ridden into North America with compadres War, Religion, and Death. We celebrate his arrival, but the truth is much less pretty than we perhaps care to believe. I enjoy having Columbus Day off and celebrating Thanksgiving, but have felt bothered by the glossing over of this event. I am one-quarter Pueblo so there is a personal attachment to the truth as well. Anyhow, this was done digitally in Photoshop with layers over a sketch. Line by line by line..
in my next posting I will attach a photo I took in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba this July, of a point where Columbus had landed there too- a nice point marker denoted the spot.

3 comments:

jkg11218 said...

I finally get to see this! It's lovely, I can only imagine the amount of work it took! Did you consider using Illustrator for this? It's what I might have chosen.

Great seeing you yesterday, I think the 19th is looking good for us- I'll be in touch soon!

hamchat said...

JKG!
Thank you for looking. do tell; how might this have been easier with Illustrator? I would love to know.. because this was pretty painstaking and I knew there had to be a better way...
good about the 19th I'll pencil it in, fingers crossed:)

jkg11218 said...

I'll have to show you a demo on Illus. when I see you next- too complicated to explain verbally. Maybe on the 19th!